The People of Marutham Land: Their Lives and Culture
- Marutham Land,
- Sangam Age,
- Marutham People Culture
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Social anthropologists have given various interpretations and definitions of culture. Culture is interwoven into the domestic as well as the public life of the people of the Sangam age. The culture of the people of Marutham land depended on agriculture. The people who lived in fertile agricultural lands lived by the disciplines that they could follow. Marriage is considered important and primary in Tamil culture. The Akananooru songs talk about the rituals of marriage. It is understood that "Silambu Kazhi Nonbu" (removal of anklets put on by the parents before the marriage of the girls) was the main ritual in the wedding rituals. The wedding rituals were simple. It is mentioned in the Kalitthokai that wearing new clothes at the time of the wedding, wearing new ornaments, adorning with garlands of flowers, and circumambulating the fire as guided by the Brahmin during the time of the wedding.
- Annamalai, Suba., (2007) Aganaanooru Moolamum Uraiyum, Koviloor Madalayam, Koviloor, India.
- Balasubramanian, K, V., (2004) Kalithogai, New Century Book House, Chennai, India.
- Balasubramanian, K, V., (2009) Natrinai (Moolamum Uraiyum), New Century Book House, Chennai, India.
- Balasubramanian, K.V., (2019) Tholkappiyam, NCBH Publications, Chennai, India.
- Kanthaiya Pillai, N.C., (2019) Tamilar Panpaadu, Seethai Pathipagam, Chennai, India.
- Nagarajan, V., (2004) Kurunthogai Moolamum Uraiyum, New Century Book House, Chennai, India.
- Sasivalli, V.C., (1995) Tamilar Thirumanam, International Institute of Tamil Studies, Chennai, India.
- Singaravadivelan, Ara., (2005) Ainkurunuru Moolamum Uraiyum, Koviloor Madalayam, Koviloor, India.
- Suresh, R., (2020) Cultural Change that Occurred in the Religion of Tamilakam, Indian Journal of Tamil, 1(4) 1-10. https://doi.org/10.34256/ijot2041
- Thenmozhi, K., (2020) A Review of the Aim and Trend of Hospitality in Sangam Literature, Indian Journal of Tamil, 1(3) 8-13. https://doi.org/10.34256/ijot2032