How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ephigraphs of Kongu Nadu has the Evidence of Women’s Contribution both from Royal Family and poverty-stricken family. Though the disparate regions of Kongu Nadu was ruled by various kings, the evidence of women’s contribution is found only in the Ephigraphs of Pandyas, Cheras, and Cholas. However, women Contribution was at peak during Chozha Period. Women of Royal Clan was provisioned with the ability and rights to maintain and rejuvenate Temples. Devaradiyarkal contributed Gold and coins which stands as a testimony to their social standard. It also reflects their Wealth. The wives of Government officials offered lands as part of their contribution. The evidence of contributions made by lay women could be traced only in the Epigraphs of 12th or 13th Century only. It is believed that women made their contribution with regard to God but the trace of evidence couldn’t be found anywhere. Further, the glimpses on women’s right to property and in addition, their freedom to use their property regardless of any exterior interventions were also been recorded.
- Alis, A., (2004) Pathitruppathu, New Century Book House Pvt. Ltd., Chennai, India.
- Ganesan M., Jagatheesan, R., (2003), Kongu Nadu Epigraphs of Coimbatore District, Coimbatore, India.
- Gowmarishwari, S., (2015) PathinenKeelkanakku Noolkal, Moolamum Urayum, Pathippagam, Chennai, India.
- Krishnan, A, 2001), Ephigraphs of Salem and Namakkal District, P.186, Tamil University, Thanjavoor, India.
- Parimelazhakar (2007), Thirukkural, Thirumahal Nilayam, Chennai, India.
- Rasu, S. (2007), Ephigraphs of Erode District, Volume-1, Tamil Nadu Department of Archeology, Chennai, India.
- Sasign, S.P., (2007) Epigraphs of Thiruppur District, Tamil Nadu Department of Archeology, Chennai, India.
- Shelly, C.R., (2003) Womens in Ephigraphs of Tamil Nadu, Vidiyal Pathippagam, Coimbatore, India.
- Sridhar T. Sri., (2006). Epigraphs of Coimbatore District, Volume-1, Tamil Nadu Department of Archeology, Chennai, India.
- Sridhar, T. Sri., (2010) Ephigraphs of Coimbatore District, Volume-3, Tamil Nadu Department of Archeology, Chennai, India.