- Food culture,
- Tamil culture,
- Tamilar hospitality,
- Tamil spiritual
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Food production is a science; food preparation is a living art. We prepare food to share with our kith and kin for our earthly and spiritual sustenance. All the great religions teach that food is a Divine blessing and should be treated with respect and immense gratitude. In Tamilnadu food is a spiritual science with precise prescriptions of how to cultivate, prepare and consume food for physical, emotional and spiritual well being. Our local traditions have several things in common with global traditions. In that light this article presents our food culture through ages with its uniqueness of thanks giving to nature and people.
- Aarumuga Naavalar, (1964) Auvaiyar Arulicheytha Nalvazhi, Vidhyanupalana Yantrasalai, Chennai.
- Aykkan, (2017) Alagappar, Alagappa University Book Publishing Department, Karaikudi.
- Bharathiyar, (1969) Bharathiyar Songs, Sri Lanka Library, Sri Lanka.
- Chellam, N., & Uma Mageshwari, S., (2021) Food thy be medicine – A perspective from ancient Tamils, International Research Journal of Tamil, 3(3), 7-21. https://doi.org/10.34256/irjt2132
- Jagannathan K.V., (1985) Porunaatruppadai, Amuthanilayam Limited, Chennai.
- Jayakanthan, (2015) Thousand in Thought, Volume 2, Srishenbaga Publishing House.
- Kanimetaviyar, Eladi, (1887) Kalaratna Printing Press, Chennai.
- Kunrakkudi Adigalar, (2005) Thirukural, Arulnerip Pathippagam, Kunrakkudi.
- Murugu, K., (2013) Viveka Chindamani Moolamum Uraiyum, Saratha Pathippagam, Chennai.
- Pillai, Ka.Su., (2015) Thanippaadal Thirattu – Moolamum Uraiyum, Saratha Pathippagam, Chennai.
- Puliyukesigan, (2010) Purananuru moolamum uraiyum, Sharada Publishing, Chennai.
- Puliyurkesigan, (2000) Auvaiyar thani paadlkal, Mullai Nilayam, Chennai.
- Raghavaiyankar, U.V.R., (1923) Text by Akananuru, edited by Srirajagopalaiyankar, Chennai.
- Saminathiyar, U.V., (1921) Manimegalai, Commercial Printing Press, Chennai.
- Saminathiyar, U.V., (1935) Puranaanooru moolamum uraiyum, Law Journal Printing Press, Chennai.
- Sasireha, P., (2021) Religious work of the Nayanmars who volunteered for the sacred offering of Food, International Research Journal of Tamil, 3(2), 78-86. https://doi.org/10.34256/irjt21211
- Singara Kumaresanar, Naladiyar Nayavurai, (1970) Puduvaip Painthamil Publishing House, Pondicherry.
- Sivalinganar, (1994) Tolkappiyam, International Institute of Tamil Studies, Chennai.
- Tirumoola Nayanar, (1912) Thirumandiram, Madras Ribbon Machinery, Madras.
- Vilambinaaganaar, (1911) Naanmanikkadigai, Senthamizh Pirasuram, Madurai.