Theatrical Elements in Silappathikaaram (An Epic)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Silappathikaaram is a short epic story, it has written by the pioneer of Tamil epic writer Elangovadikal. This story begins with Kovalan and Kannagi marriage life, unfortunately a beautiful dancer Maadhavi, who interefere their life and kovalan living with Maathavi. Later Kovalan and Maadhavi separated by their conflict and Kovalan joined with Kannagi to reached the Madurai. Where he wrongly punished by the King, Kannagi heard news of Kovalan murder and cursed the Madurai.This story opens in happy mood and ends in sad feeling,it has pleasure, morose and mockery and tragedy. Those are coming vice versa. Even though Kannagi anklet rings (silambu) is the reason for happy beginning and sad ending in dramatic way.This short epic shows Maadhavi's eleven types of dance and songs. Which songs reveal and attribute mono-song method of Vaettuvary, Aaitchiyar Kuravai.
- Chellappan, K. (1994) Silapathikaram Theylivurai, Saratha Publication, Chennai, India.
- Nachinarkiniyar, (2012) Tholkappiyam Porulathigaram, Saratha Publication, Chennai, India.
- Natarajan, TS. (2015) Silappathigaram Maruvaasippu, New Century Book House, Chennai.
- Puliyur Kesigan, (2015) Silapathikaram, Saradha Pathippagam, Chennai, India.
- Swaminatha iyer, U.V. (2008) Silapathikara Moolam and Arumbathaurai and Nallarurai to Adiyar, U.V. Sa. Libray, Chennai, India.
- Vithiananthan, S. (1962) Ankararuban Natak Thenmodik Koothu, Sri lanka.