Tamil Character Recognition in Palm Leaf Manuscripts
- Tamil manuscripts,
- Tamil character,
- Text line segmentation,
- Character segmentation
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Tamil characters are of historical significance. The shapes of the character and its writing continued to be changed by several reformers in each century until the period of the nineteenth century. The Tamil characters in the palm leaf manuscripts are based on the author's writing style and strokes in use at the time. Reading palm leaf manuscripts is a challenge for the modern generation who are unaware of the character strokes and writing patterns written in earlier times, and the younger generation neglects to read and understand the contents written in palm leaf manuscripts. To read Tamil palm leaf manuscripts it is necessary to remember the shapes of the character that has changed over time and to compare and recognize the characters. This research paper explains how to recognize the Tamil characters written in palm leaf manuscripts by computer. By this research, the Tamil characters can be compared with different strokes and shapes and the exact character can be recognized accurately and quickly.
- Banumathi, P., Nasira, G.M., (2011) Handwritten Tamil Character Recognition Using Artificial Neural Networks, 2011 International Conference on Process Automation, Control and Computing, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1109/PACC.2011.5978989
- Challa, N.P., & Mehta, R.V.K. (2017) Applications of Image Processing Techniques on Palm Leaf Manuscripts-A Survey. Helix: The Scientific Explorer, 7(5), 2013-2017.
- Deepa, M., Deepa, R., Meena, R., Nandhini, R., (2019) Tamil handwritten text recognition using convolutional neural networks, International Journal of Engineering Science and Computing, 9(3) 20986-20988.
- Kannan R.J., Subramanian S., (2015) An Adaptive Approach of Tamil Character Recognition Using Deep Learning with Big Data-A Survey. In: Satapathy S., Govardhan A., Raju K., Mandal J. (eds) Emerging ICT for Bridging the Future - Proceedings of the 49th Annual Convention of the Computer Society of India (CSI) Volume 1. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 337. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13728-5_63
- Kattalai Kailasam, V., (2018) Yedum Eluthum, First Edition, Malli Padhipagam, Tirunelvlei, TamilNadu, India.
- Kesiman, M.W.A., Valy, D., Burie, J.-C., Paulus, E., Suryani, M., Hadi, S., Verleysen, M., Chhun, S., Ogier, J.-M., (2018) Benchmarking of Document Image Analysis Tasks for Palm Leaf Manuscripts from Southeast Asia, Journal of Imaging, 4(2) 43. https://doi.org/10.3390/jimaging4020043
- Mohamed Sathik, M., Spurgen Ratheash, R., (2020) Optimal Character Segmentation for Touching Characters in Tamil Language Palm Leaf Manuscripts using Horver Method, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 9(6) 1010-1015. https://doi.org/10.35940/ijitee.E3126.049620
- Mohamed Sathik, M., Spurgen Ratheash, R., (2020A) Handwritten Tamil Character Recognition in Palm Leaf Manuscripts using BiLSTM Classifier, International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, 13(4) 4440-4450.
- Sabeenian R.S., Paramasivam M.E., Anand R., Dinesh P.M., (2019) Palm-Leaf Manuscript Character Recognition and Classification Using Convolutional Neural Networks. In: Peng SL., Dey N., Bundele M. (eds) Computing and Network Sustainability. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 75. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-7150-9_42
- Sornam M., Vishnu Priya C., (2018) Deep Convolutional Neural Network for Handwritten Tamil Character Recognition Using Principal Component Analysis. In: Bhattacharyya P., Sastry H., Marriboyina V., Sharma R. (eds) Smart and Innovative Trends in Next Generation Computing Technologies. NGCT 2017. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 827. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-8657-1_61
- Spurgen Ratheash, R., Mohamed Sathik, M., (2019) Line Segmentation Challenges in Tamil Language Palm Leaf Manuscripts, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 9(1) 2363-2367. https://doi.org/10.35940/ijitee.L3159.119119
- Vellingiriraj, E.K., Balasubramanie, P., (2014) Recognition of Ancient Tamil Handwritten Characters in Historical Documents by Boolean Matrix and BFS Graph, International Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 5(SPL – 1) 65-68.