Tamil Literary dictionaries - the need and uses of Encyclopedia
- Tamil language dictionaries,
- Tamil encyclopedia,
- Tamil development
Copyright (c) 2020 Arunan C
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Though Tamil is recognised as the world’s oldest language, its a matter of great concern that there aren’t persistent efforts to create and maintain Tamil language dictionaries. While there have been many instances right from the sangam era in creating dictionaries and encyclopedia, they haven’t been continually updated to refine, remove errors or to add in the developments to the language by way of new words introduced. With English being used as the main language across the board, it’s important to have well maintained dictionaries and encyclopedia without which there will be no growth of the language. This paper traces the history of Tamil language dictionaries, about the pioneers and their attempts to bring out encyclopedia in various fields and emphasises the need to create a comprehensive dictionary and encyclopedia, update it yearly and the need to make it a mandatory subject of study in schools.
- Tolkappiyar, Tolkappiyam Sollathikaram – Deivasilaiyar Urai, The South India Saiva Siddhantha Publishing Ltd, Chennai-18, India.
- Tolkappiyar, Tolkappiyam Sollathikaram, 2007, (T.V.Gopalaiyer), Saraswathi Mahal Library, Tanjore, India.
- Tiruchendur Arumarunthaiya Desigar, 1931, Arumporul Vilaka Nikantu, Sentamil Prasuram Publications, Madurai Tamil Sangam, Madurai-625002, India.
- A. Muthu Thambipillai, 1997, Abithana kosam, Asian Educational Services, Chennai-14, India.
- Zoology Dictionary, 1968, Department of Educational Publication, Sri Lanka Government Press, Sri Lanka,
- V.P.K. Sundaram, 1997, Tamil Encyclopedia, Third Volume, Publication Section- Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli – 24, India.
- A.S. Padmanaban, 2018, Tamil terminology dictionary for Music, New century Book House Private Limited, Chennai, India.
- Pathartha Guna Sinthamani, 2007, Indian Medicine – Homeopathy Department Publication, Chennai, India.
- N.K. Shanmugam, Herbal Encyclopedia, 1989, Nakkheeran Publications, India.
- Manavai Mustafa, Medical Terminology Encyclopedia, Manavai Publication, Chennai – 40, India.
- Manavai Mustafa, 1998, Children Encyclopedia, Meera Publications, Chennai – 40, India.
- S. Navaraj Chellaya, 1996, Dictionary of Sports Department, Chennai-600, India.
- Brittanica Encyclopedia, Nakkheeran Publications, Chennai – 600002, India.
- T.K. Narayanasamy, 1983, Samaya Saathira Agarathi, Thiru. V. Kalyanasundaram One hundred memorial publication, Kadalur, India.
- Manavai Mustafa, 1991, Islamic Encyclopedia for Youngsters, Meera Publications, Chennai-40, India.
- K. Rajanarayanan, 1982, Karisal Vattara Vazhaku Agarathi, Annam Publications, Tanjore, India.
- R. Elankumaran, 1989, Vazhaku Sol Agarathi, Tirunelveli Thennindia Saiva Sithantha Noorpathippu Kazhagam, Chennai, India.
- S.P. Shanmugam, 1990, Chetti Naatil senthamizh Vazhakku, Chennai, India.
- Perumal Murugan, (Compilation and edition), 2000, Kongu Vatara Solagarathi, Kuruthu Veliyeedu, Erode, India.
- Kanmani Gunasekaran, 2007, Nadunaatu Sollagarathi, Tamizhini Pathippagam, Chennai-14, India.
- A. Singaravelu Mudaliar, 2002, Abithana Chintamani, Asian Educational Services, Chennai-14, India.