History and Reconstruction of Thirugnanasambandar
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Religious literature in Tamil is full of fiction with many unnatural events. Such stories were created for the development of religion. Beyond the tendency to approach them superficially as mere fiction, it is essential for the intelligent community to explore them on the basis that every fictional story has a background cause.Thus, the scriptures tell the story of Thirugnanasambandar, who is considered to be a Saiva (Devotee of Lord Siva) doing impossible deeds, differently from each other. This article reviews the obvious readings and reconstructions of the history of Thirugnanasambandar by Vannacharabam Dhandapani Swami in his Puluvar Puranam. They convey the oral stories and ideas about Thirugnanasambandar, that existed in the 19th century, as well as the logical study of history and the fictional background of antecedents.
- Dandapani Swamigal, (1994) Pulavar Puranam, Ramananda Adigalar Foundation, Kumaraguru College of Engineering, Coimbatore, India.
- Gnaanasampandhan, A.S., (2020) Periyapuranam Oor Aaivu, Vanathi Pathippagam, Chennai, India
- Jagannathan, Ki.Va., (1962), Nayanmar Kathai, 1st edition, Amuda Nilayam, Chennai, India
- Kalaivani, S., (2020) Dhandapani Swami’s Aruvagai Ilakkanam – Edition History, International Research Journal of Tamil, 2(3), 52-59. https://doi.org/10.34256/irjt2035
- Natarajan, P.R., (2017) Thirugyanasampandar Devaram, Uma Pathippagam, Chennai, India
- Nedunjezhiyan, Ka, (2017), Bakthi Iyakkangalum Vaidhiga Ethirpum, Karikalan Pathippagam, Mathur, India
- Perumpatrapuliyur Nambi, (1906), Thiruvalavayudaiyar Thiruvilaiyadarpuranam, Chennai-Presidency Press, India
- Vasantha Kumar, (2017) Padhinooraam Thirumurai, Panniru Thirumurai Ayivu Maiam, Karpagam University, Coimbatore, India
- Veeramani. Ki, (2013), Ulaga Varalatril Pagutharivu Suvadugal, 1st edition, Dravidar Kazhagam Publications, Chennai.
- Venkataraman Su,, (2007), Thirugnanasambandar, 1st edition, Sahitya akademi, New Delhi, India.
- Venkataraman, Su, (2004), Ariyapadaadha Tamil Ilakkiya Varalaru, 1st Edition, Meenakshi Bookstore, Madurai, India