A Yoga Intervention for Stress Management of Young Athletes During Covid-19 Lockdown
- Covid Lockdown
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This research aimed to check the effectiveness of a specially designed yogic package suitable for athletes who were in fear due to the covid-19 lockdown to test its effectiveness in bringing back their mental power. Yoga is not a new science. Centuries back, the importance of physical and psychological health and the impact of yoga has been explained in Thirumandiram by Yoga Maharishi Thirumoolar. Psychological resilience is necessary to enhance athletic performance and foster valuable life skills. Through positive adaptation to adversity and stressors in competitive performance, athletes can cultivate their ability to respond to negative stimuli, ultimately evolving personal growth effectively. For young athletes, the development of resilience is particularly crucial. Due to confinement and social isolation regulations, young athletes face distinct challenges in sport, including future fear, physical toughness, body image issues, emotional maturity, increased mental distress, and internalization of emotions during a covid lockdown. The aim of this research is to test if yoga could build resilience and discuss the implications and applications relevant to young athletes. 30 young athletes between 19 - 21 years accepted to participate in the research were accommodated. The pretest was conducted on the selected variables and selected subjects were assigned into two groups of 15 subjects each. The Experimental Group (YG) underwent yoga training and the control group (CG) did not undergo any specific training for 3 weeks (6 days a week for 2 sessions a day). After 3 weeks of training, a post-test was conducted on resilience (self-determination, physical toughness and Emotion control & Maturity) for both groups. To find out if any significant difference exists between pre and post-training, a t-ratio was applied. The result depicts that yoga is the best tool to work on resilience in such unprecedented tough times, securing current physical and mental health, enhancing sports performance, and helping young athletes stay navigated to life's goals.
- Ajilchi, B., Amini, H.R., Ardakani, Z.P., (2019) Applying Mindfulness Training to Enhance the Mental Toughness and Emotional Intelligence of Amateur Basketball Players, Australasian Psychiatry, 27, 291–296. https://doi.org/10.1177/1039856219828119
- Cadieux, E.G., Gemme, C., Dupuis, G., (2021) Effects of Yoga Interventions on Psychological Health and Performance of Competitive Athletes: A Systematic Review, Journal of Science in Sport and Exercise, 3(2). https://doi.org/10.1007/s42978-020-00104-y
- Liu, F., Zhang, Z., Liu, S., Zhang, N., (2021) Examining the Effects of Brief Mindfulness Training on Athletes' Flow: The Mediating Role of Resilience, Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2021, 6633658. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6633658
- McManama O’Brien, K.H., Rowan, M., Willoughby, K., Griffith K., Christino, M.A., (2021) Psychological Resilience in Young Female Athletes, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18, 8668. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18168668
- Mittly, V., Németh, Z., Berényi, K., Mintál, T., (2016) Mind Does Matter: The Psychological Effect of Ankle Injury in Sport, Journal of Psychology & Psychotherapy, 6(4), 1000278. https://doi.org/10.4172/2161-0487.1000278
- Naz, M., Saleem, S., & Mahmood, M., (2010) Development of Indigenous resilience scale for rescue112 workers, Pakistan Journal of Psychological Research, 25 (2), 149-163.
- Polsgrove, M.J., Eggleston, B.M., & Lockyer, R.J., (2016) Impact of 10-weeks of yoga practice on flexibility and balance of college athletes, International Journal of Yoga, 9(1), 27–34. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6131.171710
- Putukian, M., (2016) The Psychological Response to Injury in Student Athletes: A Narrative Review with a Focus on Mental Health, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 50, 145–148. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2015-095586
- Rothlin, P., Horvath, S., Trosch, S., Grosse Holtforth, M., Birrer, D., (2020) Differential and Shared Effects of Psychological Skills Training and Mindfulness Training on Performance-Relevant Psychological Factors in Sport: A Randomized Controlled Trial, BMC Psychology, 8, 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40359-020-00449-7
- Sarah, S & Tazvin, I., (2012) Resilience scale for athletes, FWU Journal of Social Sciences, 6(2), 171-176.
- Zurita-Ortega, F., Chacon-Cuberos, R., Cofre-Bolados, C., Knox, E., Muros, J.J., (2018) Relationship of Resilience, Anxiety and Injuries in Footballers: Structural Equations Analysis, PLoS ONE, 2, 14. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207860